Sunday, July 21, 2013

New petticoat started

I got an email that my corset has shipped, so by next weekend I should be all set to work on the main parts of my DragonCon costume. In the meantime, I've started the petticoat.

Unlike the practice petticoat I made a few weeks ago, I'm being careful with this one. I'm using the feather print fabric that I love, too. Yesterday I spent an hour cutting out the pieces for the bottom two tiers. At one point I had a measuring tape around my neck, a T-square in one hand, and a yardstick in the other. I used all three tools, too, to make sure the pieces are the right size and shape. Not that this is a complicated pattern at all, especially since I'm not even thinking about the waist tier yet.

Because the corset--assuming I ordered the right size and can get it on (and alternately, that I ordered the right size and it's not too big)--will make my waist and hip measurements a bit smaller than they actually are, I'm going to wait and do the waist tier after I have the corset. I also realized I won't want a lot of bunchy layers under the corset even if they won't show. So instead of using elastic, I'll be making an actual waistband, probably with a button closure. Same for the bloomers that I plan to remake soon. Same for the skirt.

At the moment, I'm sewing a feather trim to the bottom hem of the petticoat. This is six yards around, remember, which will make for lots of lovely ruffles. I tried to sew it with my machine but it didn't like the thickness of the trim's tape or the stickiness inside it (the feathers are glued into the tape, a very sticky glue that gets on the needle), or the feathers' shafts either. So I'm having to hand-sew it. Six yards is eighteen feet, you know, and it's a slow process. Fortunately I have the entire box set of Gundam Wing that I haven't rewatched in a while.

Once the feather trim is complete, I'll go back and hand-sew a lace band on top of the hem, to hide the raw edge and make the whole thing look a bit more finished. I won't be to that point for a while, but here's a picture of what it will look like. If I do it right.


No comments:

Post a Comment