Sunday, July 28, 2013

Petticoat Update

You know what I've done all week? I've been sewing feather trim on the bottom hem of the petticoat I'm making. My house is full of feathers. I didn't keep track, but it probably took a solid eight hours. I won't bore you with all the details, like the difficulty I had finding more trim when I ran out and had already bought every piece at the fabric store. Just believe me when I say it's been a long, tiring week of hand-sewing.

Once I was done with the trim, I was able to use the machine to sew the lace on top. I did that this afternoon. I won't bore you with the details about that either, like how my bobbin ran out halfway through and I screwed up when replacing it and almost broke the needle, etc. Anyway, I got it sewn on.


Then I had to ruffle it. That took hours. I did that this evening. The cat helped.


You may remember that I started this whole steampunk garage project so I'd have somewhere to sew where the cat wouldn't help, but while I'm happy with the garage and it's very useful for most parts of a project, the floor will never be as clean as my living room carpet (stains and all).

I won't bore you with the endless activity of ruffling and how it was already 10 pm when I sat down to sew the pieces. I got it done, and only had to rip out a few inches of stitching that I screwed up.

Here's what it looks like--and keep in mind that I still have the upper tier and waistband to make. Yes, I know, the picture is blurry and the color is off. I will not bore myself taking and processing a new one.


No comments:

Post a Comment