Saturday, August 3, 2013

The petticoat: finished!

It took me two weeks of working on it almost every night, sometimes for a few hours at a time, but it's done. I'm proud of it. Here it is on, and you can also see my corset and the top I may or may not actually wear with the final outfit. More about that tomorrow. Sorry the mirror in the garage is so filthy--it's my only full-length mirror.


(I threw a bathrobe over the outfit because I had to walk from the house to the garage, and my neighbors think I'm eccentric enough already.)

I fell in love with the lace I used on the hem, so I got more to trim the waistband--even though it doesn't show. I decided to put elastic in the back seam rather than bothering with buttons, but I was in a hurry and got sloppy when sewing the casing. When I started to feed the 3/4" elastic into the casing, it turned out that part of the casing was way too narrow. Rather than rip out the seam and do it over, I used a thinner piece of elastic. The thinner elastic isn't as springy, though, and the waistband is a bit loose. But as long as it's tucked under my corset, it's not going anywhere. Anyway, I only sewed lace to the flat front of the waistband.


I'm glad I decided to use this fabric for a petticoat instead of my skirt. I don't love it now as much as I did when I bought it. The fabric I have for the skirt is much darker, with a lot of black in it that should look dramatic. Now I just have to make the skirt.

I have four weeks, three weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment