Saturday, August 10, 2013

Sharpie marker vs. polyester

I found another shirt that I really like with my DragonCon steampunk owl catcher costume. The only problem is that it's black, gray, and white, and my costume is mostly brown. I needed some brown in the shirt.


It's 65% polyester, 35% rayon, so I tried RIT dark brown dye to see if it would take. I used the entire bottle of dye (with a cup of salt). I worried that simmering the pot of dye would mess up my shirt, so instead I used almost boiling water but turned off the heat so it wouldn't simmer. I kept the shirt in the dyebath for about half an hour, stirring it frequently to make sure it would dye evenly.

When I took it out of the dyebath, I put the dyed-gray jacket from last week in. I thought a bit of brown might make the gray a warmer shade that would go better with my outfit. That was before I rinsed out the shirt and realized the dye had turned it purple.

A light purple, barely a tint of pink, but definitely not brown. Not brown at all. And most of the dye rinsed out anyway. I thought maybe the stock pot I've been using for dying (it was a crappy stock pot but makes a good dye pot) was aluminum instead of steel as I'd thought, and it had reacted with the dye. I took the jacket out of the dye bath after barely ten minutes and rinsed it thoroughly in hopes that it wouldn't turn purple.

Instead, it had dyed to a marvelous deep brown. And when I ran it and the shirt through a delicate cycle of the washing machine, it stayed deep brown while the shirt lost almost all the purple tint--fortunately, but I was then back to where I'd started.

I'd gotten the shirt on clearance, probably because it had a small tear in the back bottom hem. Since it wasn't one I could wear to work because of the tear, I decided to try something else. I got out my brown Sharpie pen and got to work.

I shaded brown above several of the black stripe patterns to see how it looked. I really liked the effect, so I kept going. I'd finished the front and one of the sleeves when I realized the Sharpie marker, permanent though it's supposed to be, might not work on polyester any better than the dye had. But when I rinsed a section of the Sharpied shirt in water, the marker remained even when I scrubbed.

So hurrah! Sharpie wins! I haven't finished the back--I got too tired to continue, and it's bedtime anyway--but I tried it on with my corset and it looks good (if still a tiny bit purplish, although maybe that's just the light in the bathroom). The real test will be after I run it through the washing machine, but I think it'll be okay. It looks like the pattern of a barred owl's breast to me, which is why I like it so much.


Tomorrow I hope to have the skirt finished, and if it looks good I'll put a full tutorial up on how I made it. So far it's just what I had in mind.

4 comments:

  1. OMG--that's some very, very nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, thanks, but unfortunately I ended up hating the shirt (although the brown stripe stayed on through a wash) and I took it apart at the seams to use as a pattern for making a new shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know the sharpie will stay on the polyester!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know the sharpie will stay on the polyester!!

    ReplyDelete