Sunday, May 5, 2013

Small update, small shelves, small everything

It rained again this weekend. I like rain, but this is the third weekend in a row. Please, sky gods, give me a sunny weekend soon!

I had to work yesterday morning anyway, and after that I went to see Iron Man 3. It was late when I got home and I'm still getting over a bout of bronchitis, so I didn't do any work on the garage Saturday.

At one point in Iron Man 3 (hopefully this won't spoil anything) there's a scene where Tony Stark is in the middle of nowhere and has to break into a garage to make repairs on his suit. The garage in the movie is full of stuff he can use. If he broke into my garage, he'd still be there trying to figure out how to make repairs with a leather punch, cheap nails, a bunch of interesting rocks, five or six sets of windchimes, and some short twists of copper wire (which I stole--I mean found--at work where they're doing construction).

This morning I got up to more chilly rain, and I kind of felt like staying in bed all day. Instead I went to Home Depot and bought bricks, because I am just that exciting.

They're actually edgers, meant for edging flowerbeds and stuff like that. But they're the right size for brick-and-board shelves, which I decided to use the particleboard shelves for rather than trying to wall-mount them. I bought a dozen bricks thinking that would be enough. Instead, as you can see these are the smallest shelves ever. I'll have to get more bricks next time.

(oh look, you can see my leg in the mirror. Those jeans really don't fit anymore)

While I was in Home Depot, I also bought three more wall brackets. I thought I'd use one to replace the mismatched bracket, then have two left over to mount another small shelf later. Garages need shelves! But apparently I bought the original brackets at Lowe's and these are not quite the same size.


I almost went back to the store. But it was still raaaaaining and the cat is trying to kill me (he loves to get up on the pergola and can't always get down). Since I had the ladder out anyway to rescue Jekyll, I cleaned out the house's gutters in the rain. And after that I really didn't want to do anything else except eat blueberry muffins and drink tea, which I can do with the best.


Oh, I got two interesting little hooks and put them up this weekend too. It didn't exactly take me long. Here's a picture of one of them (the other is near the door and is a slightly different key shape). Hey, does anyone know a good place to buy lampshades? Obviously I need one. Paper lampshades used to be ubiquitous at antique shops for just a few bucks each but I haven't seen any in the longest time.


No comments:

Post a Comment