Sunday, April 28, 2013

mismatched shelves

This morning I woke up feeling like I was coming down with some kind of crud--not bad, and not unexpected considering I've been coughing my head off for a few days, but not fun either. So I didn't do much today.

In fact, all I'd intended to do was add a bracket to the long shelf I put up yesterday, then use wood glue to stick the two wooden brackets to the wall better. But the wood glue worked so well that I decided to put the second shelf up today after all. I added a third bracket. It doesn't match. This is going to drive me crazy enough that I will probably go back to the store eventually and get a third wooden bracket to match. And then I won't be able to get the metal bracket off the wall.

The problem was, when I put one of the particleboards on the brackets to see how it looked, it was much too wide for the brackets. Well, crap. But there are all kinds of old boards stored in the rafters, so I pulled one of the shorter pieces down and sawed it in half.

(This sounds much easier than it was. Actually, it was easy: it's an old board and sawed easily. The problem was I didn't have a real saw, just a bowsaw, so I had to go back to the store for like the 40th time this weekend to buy one.)

The wood was so beautifully weathered that I decided it didn't need staining, which by an amazing coincidence matched up with my desire to never stain anything ever again. I put the back piece up first, nailing it inexpertly to the studs (I am really very bad at nailing). Then I put the shelf piece up and secured it with a single screw, because I didn't feel like doing anything else and it feels pretty sturdy and anyway I just want to go to bed and watch River Monsters.

Hopefully it'll still be there tomorrow. If the wood glue fails overnight, all my new bottles are going to smash and I'll be sad.


Also, if you ever think I'm being modest when I say I'm a slapdash worker, keep in mind that I didn't actually use a level on that shelf. I just eyeballed it. It only tilts a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment