Saturday, April 27, 2013

Breaking everything!

I started off this afternoon's project by breaking a glass. It was just a little votive candle holder, so it's not like it was expensive. But it was a harbinger of things to come.

I had several things I wanted to do this weekend. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find some of the supplies I need to do the things, so they'll have to wait. I did get some particle-board to use for shelves, though, and when I got home I immediately got to work staining them (after I swept up the broken glass).

The previous owners of the house--the ones who I think of as the monkey family, since the bathrooms sure smelled like a monkey house when I moved in--had started a project in the garage but never finished it. Bless their hearts. I'm not sure what they had in mind, but it looks like two shelves for very, very tall people. But the shelves they left were the crappy, plasticky kind from a cheap bookshelf. I moved those out right away; they're leaning against the side of the garage now in hopes bees will carry them away.


So I was left with a jerry-rigged structure for a shelf. I had to remove the pieces that are sticking up in that picture--they weren't very secure, they didn't seem to have any real function, and they were in the way. Apparently the monkey family ran out of the right length of screws by the time they got to those pieces, though, because the screws were really short, buried into the wood half an inch or more and impossible to extract. So I used a combination of brute force and twisting to wrench them off. It worked, but one day I'm going to try that and get my eyeballs impaled or something.

I wore a pair of those one-size-fits-all-if-you're-a-guy-and-have-big-hands nylon gloves while staining the shelves, and of course they got slippery. So when I picked up the can of stain halfway through the job to move it, no surprise that it slid right out of my grasp and splashed all over the floor. Oops. [picture below shows stain AFTER cleaning, not before. It looked much worse before]


I used as much of the spilled stain to finish the shelves as fast as I could. Then I mopped up more of it from the floor, smearing it all over the place. I may have said some bad words. Finally I just left it and put the big shelf up to see how it looked.

Well, it looks pretty good. It needs a bracket or something in the middle because it sags, but I'll pick one up eventually. I also tried to hang two wooden brackets I'd stained to go with one of the smaller shelves, but it turns out they need more hardware. I'm not sure what to get or how to make them secure on the wall. They look good just sitting there, though. I'll figure something out.


Finally I couldn't put it off anymore and checked the can of stain to see what it suggested for clean-up. Well, it doesn't. Most of the label is taken up with warnings. The stain is very flammable, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try lighter fluid and see if that helped. It's not like I could make it even more flammable than it already is.

Lighter fluid worked a little. Nothing is going to get it all up, though. That's okay, it's a garage floor. I went into the house, scrubbed my hands and arms with lighter fluid (while I had the can open) to get the stain off, then scrubbed my hands and arms with soap to get the lighter fluid off. Then I did it all again because of course I didn't get all the stain off. When I discovered I was trying to scrub off a bruise, I gave up and took a shower.


After I was clean and in fresh clothes, I went back out to the garage and tinkered around with little stuff for a while. I found a candle-holder I'd almost forgotten about and put a candle in it. Before I lit the candle (to drip wax into the holder so the candle would sit upright), I determined that if the garage went up in a ball of flame, I would grab the photo of my imaginary boyfriend if possible before I bolted outside into the rain.


I wish I'd gotten more done today. Tomorrow I'll work on hanging a second shelf if I can manage to figure out the brackets.

2 comments:

  1. KC, to clean up stain etc from your hands, Goop may be a solution. I am not sure, but it sounds better than lighter fluid (ugh). http://www.amazon.com/Original-Formual-Multi-Purpose-Cleaner/dp/B001ENOLZ2

    But, wait! Read the first review on that page, namely, "It is awsome on poison ivy! Poison ivy deposits an oil on your skin that eventually causes you to break out. If you know you have been exposed to it, use some Goop to clean the area you think was in contact with the leaves. Removing the oil promptly can really cut down the chances you will get the rash. Armed with that knnowledge I have tried a number of cleansers and soaps, but GOOP works hands-down the best.... BUT if you do get the rash, wash the area with some Goop too. It drys it out and relieves the itch for about 4 hours at a shot. For me it works much better than calamine lotion!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that the active ingredient in GOOP and other similar products is lighter fluid (or something really similar), so that's what I call it. What I used is actually called Oops. I've never tried it on poison ivy, but it can't be any more useless than the poison ivy oil-removing scrub that I used this weekend and it didn't work. Bah!

    ReplyDelete