Friday, April 12, 2013

Welcome to My Garage

The steampunk-my-garage project started with me wanting to make myself a nightgown. I have a very small house and a cat (named Jekyll), so of course here's what happened.

I thought, "I need a cutting table, preferably in a room where I can shut the door." But as I say, my house is tiny. Where would I put a cutting table?

The next day I found myself turning that thought over in my mind. Then I realized that I had lots of room in the garage!

Of course, I can't afford a cutting table. But I could make one! Maybe! And if I made my own table, I could make it a really cool table.

At this point I started browsing etsy for bits of steampunky hardware for my imaginary table.

It wasn't until the next day--apparently my brain ticks over pretty slowly--that I had a sudden epiphany. Steampunk table? You're dreaming too small, self. The whole garage could be steampunked up.

I grabbed a notebook and started sketching ideas and making lists of things I needed to do. I've only lived in this house a year and a half. There's not all that much clutter in the garage. I wrote, "1. Take stuff to Goodwill and dump. 2. Sort through paint cans and decide what to keep and what to throw. 3. Paint garage interior. 4. Decorate!" Because I thought it would be simple, a weekend project.

That was yesterday. And it's already clear that I'm facing many, many weekends of work before I'm done. But when I do finish, my garage is going to be the most awesome laboratory that any eccentric inventor has ever seen.

I hope.

Also, maybe eventually I'll find the time to finish sewing that nightgown.


3 comments:

  1. Where will you keep you r car after the steampunking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'll make sure to leave room in the middle. It's a small car, shouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I don't think I've ever come across someone with the problem of finding products to put on an imaginary table before, but I really like the idea. It's helpful to have a theme I guess to narrow down the possibilities and steam punk seems like the perfect one. One thought, however, is that you could work more on the garage itself?

    Machelle Ledoux @ Total Garage Repair

    ReplyDelete