Saturday, April 13, 2013

Preparing for paint

I had to proctor the ACT this morning, so I didn't get to work on the garage until late afternoon after that and errands. When I'm away from home, I think about the garage and remember it as being mostly empty. Then I come home and open the garage door.


Today I wasn't really sure what to work on. I only had a few hours between getting home and going back out (in, like, five minutes; type faster!) so I knew I couldn't start painting. After poking around for a while I decided I'd clear off the brick-and-board shelves so I could stain the boards.


But somehow, after moving everything off the boards, sorting through it and pitching a few things, and propping the boards outside to sweep clean later, I started moving everything into the middle of the garage. I didn't do much sorting, just hauled stuff away from the walls.

I kept finding things I'd forgotten I owned, including a plastic bin full of stuff I thought had been lost in the move. Some phrases don't get uttered often on this planet, but I added one to the tally of, "Hey, there's my niddy-noddy!"

After moving everything, I got the broom and started sweeping cobwebs off the walls. I wish I'd swept the kitchen floor first--it really needs it, but no way am I putting that broom back in the house now. I'll buy a new house broom and keep this one in the garage from now on. Because spiderwebs, of course. Lots and lots of them.


As I swept, I noticed that whoever built the garage did a bit of a slipshod job. There are a lot of too-long nails poking through, a lot of mismatched bits of wood. In short, it looks like I built it myself. In one corner etched into the concrete floor is "Carly Rae '07." I'm pretty sure that "Call Me Maybe" singer never lived in this house, though.

And if anyone asks, that was 1907, okay? Pretty soon, I hope, it will start to look like it. I keep noticing things I want to steampunk up after I finish the heavy lifting of painting, cleaning, and sorting. That'll be the fun part.

2 comments:

  1. What? The house is a century old? Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the house nearly is--it was built in the 1930s. The garage, not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete